Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Back to Idaho he Goes

I'm horribly depressed today. My father left for Idaho this morning at 5:30AM. I haven't seen my father since April of 2007 and miss him an awful lot. He's really the only person I "connect" to anymore. And, although he only was in Grand Junction for four days, I cherish every minute that we spent together during his very short visit.

I woke up this morning at 2:03AM (damn dogs) and did everything in my power not to wake him up. I had already succeeded in keeping him at my home for another night. Granted he shouldn't be driving in the dark anyway, but I managed to con him into staying another night in Grand Junction. "Honey, don't you need to wake up you Dad," my wife asked me. "Nah...he's pretty tired and could probably use the rest," I responded. I really didn't want him to leave. I've really enjoyed the time that he was in town. I have to think that my sisters agree, too.

I worry about him an awful lot. Isn't that funny? The Son worrying about the Father. He was the one that took care of me when I was younger and, here I am, worrying about his ability to drive in the dark! What a silly way to feel. However, honestly, I do worry about him. My sisters, too. Sissy Tammie (AKA: Mother Bis-natch Mother Hen) worries about his health. I'd like to think that Sisssy Kelly does too. His eye sight is quickly escaping him. He really should have flown into Denver. I thought that was the plan. He could have saved some money doing so. Plus, I would have been more than happy to provide him with a car to drive and would have driven him back to DIA.

Although I loved the time we spent together (especially the fishing), I saw something that made me realize what a wonderful father he really is. Not with myself, but my own son! Let me explain...

My son and I were tossing the football around in the front yard and I was starting to get pretty frustrated that he wouldn't get under the ball to catch it. "Watch the ball and get under it," I would tell Johnny over and over again. I know my father saw my frustration. He immediately came over and tossed the ball with Johnny. Dad started from about a foot away and slowly moved back, tossing the ball as he backed away. Johnny would catch the ball and throw it back to Grandpa. I can vaguely remember my father doing this with me. That's pretty sad that it has taken me 35 years to realize my father was actually a wonderful father! Sure...I'll never forget getting my ass kicked for silly things, but maybe you have to be an adult to realize such little things.

Here's my conversation with Johnny on our way to school:

Johnny: Daddy? Why did Grandpa leave so early?

Daddy: So he could avoid the traffic on the bridge. Are you going to miss Grandpa?

Johnny: No.

Daddy: No?

Johnny: No...I'll see him again soon. He's going to teach me to fish on the river, so I can come with you guys next time.

My father taught me to fish.

I'm going take a nap. I haven't slept well for days. Here are a few photos that I forgot I had in my computer.

We love you and already miss you, Dad

Austin on Tee-Box #2 at Adobe National

What a nice Swing! Just look at his feet...perfect placement!

Valentine's Dinner, 2008

Nuggie at the Nuggets' Game

Great Seats! For the right price, I'll give you my contact's number.

Chef Johnny on Pizza Night

New Emerson, Class of 2007-08

He loves Sushi!

Scientist Johnny at the Science Fair

Easter Sunday, 2008

A cold one before the game

Popcorn lovin' kids

Sissy Kelly, Johnny and Uncle Dirk lookin' all Jacked-up

Great Grandma Wampler and Johnny

Nice form

The Buddy Boyz at the Science Fair

Baby Zoe with Mommy

Grandpa Terry with Zoe

The World's Greatest Uncle!

The World's Bitchiest Auntie!
They're Jap Twins!

Mommy and Johnny after 18 holes

New Emerson, Graduation Day

Uncle Jim, Jap Tammie, and Cody

5'8" Jim, 4'8" Dad, and 10'9" Cody

Dad and Sissy Kelly

Dirk, Chink Baby, Dad, and Chink Mommy

No comments: